Friday, August 16, 2019

How to Open a Bag of Potato Chips

2013-11-02 21:21:00-0400
I didn't realize it was so easy to cut yourself when opening a bag of potato chips. But I though I'd try it anyway. Modern potato chip bags come in three varieties: the ones that are made of heavy, but recyclable paper, the ones in a kind of mylar, and the ones which are sandwiches of various plastic products. The mylar is nearly impossible to rip, and when it does, it makes a tiny, but effective blade. Recently, I've taken to opening the bags with a small blowtorch I keep around for making crème brûlée. Then all you need is a match. This has the fortunate side effect of toasting the chips slightly, enhancing the flavor. This has the unfortunate side effect of occasionally coating the chips with melted plastic. Also, the plastic tends to flow on the bandages on my fingers, which I put on after the mylar blades cut them up. 
So if you see a man crunching potato chips taken from a half melted bag, his hands covered in dripped plastic drops, its probably me. Or it could be you, if you tried out any of these techniques.  

No comments: