Monday, December 28, 2020

I never saw a bird with such a bill.

I've never seen a bird with such a bill. It's not like birds with bills like that are rare, but in this town, where sandpaper is made, the native fowl tend not to have long bills. It comes from their incessant sharpening, which they must use to poke out bugs from trees.


Our bird feeder has little piles of sand that birds drop when they open up their beaks. So why did this bird show up on my fence ? What kind of bird came here? From out of town? Escaped a zoo or hoarding bird collector?  I think I see a tag clamp on her leg. I think the bird's female from her skull. No flamboyant crest or spurs or wattles.


So with my camera I can get a glimpse of what is written on that tag, and then perhaps I can report it to a shelter. Or a sanctuary where they have some records. As I approach, the bird drops off the fence,  and flies off as I vainly tried to capture something that I can't have or even know.

No comments: