Monday, December 28, 2020

I've never ridden a horse until today.

I've never ridden a horse until today. 

I first picked out a stable that I could entrust with my first horse ride.  The lonely pasture is about 30 miles from my house, but with a combination of public transit and hitchhiking I made it over there. They were a little surprised. I had not made a reservation at all, I just showed up and laid down in the stable. I took in the smell of hay, leather, and road apples. Strands of mane were scattered about.  Old magazine articles and prizes were under glass on the opposite wall. Tack was hanging on hooks. 

After about 2 hours, a thin, helmeted woman came in. She had keys, and knew how to use them. After taking a short phone call, she unlocked the gate and let a tired brown mare out.  Currying brushes were taken off the shelf, and I watched her work over the mare's hide until the bits of straw, dust, and insects were cleaned off.  

Up until this point, she had been ignoring me.  I made a few croaking noises as I do when I haven't spoken for a while.

She gave a resigned look. She looked away thinking. She turned her gaze back.  With one hand she lifted me and placed me on the mare's back. The steed took a single step. Then she removed me. I took off out the door and hitched back.

No comments: