Monday, December 28, 2020

My decision was based on years of experience.

My decision was based on seconds of experience. I decided to cross the street. These days crossing the street is immediately associated with risk. There is no risk - a street is a wider sidewalk. Vehicles in motion are not a risk, because they cannot move fast enough to be a danger. 


Bad air, though, that's a risk. If you follow a vehicle powered by an internal combustion engine, you might get a lung full of exhaust and you will feel exhausted.  I don't think I need to think about this long or do I? Street crossing involves a certain amount of premeditation. I have to think hard and not make a mistake. I have to remember the goal and not be distracted.


This decision is now taking minutes to make. I try to recall previous cross street trips. There was that one about a month ago. That was very pleasant. So was the return trip.  I chalk it up to remembering to bring enough food and to charge my phone. It was warm when I started, with a hint of rain. 

 

But earlier, I remember I had some trouble. I couldn't remember what direction to walk and started up the road instead of crossing it.


I turned my head to the side when watching for vehicles, but because I didn't want to breathe the exhaust, I was tired when I arrived and took a few days to recover.  In fact, I needed to renew my visa.  That comes of experience - years of it.

No comments: